Tuesday, July 16, 2013

UNDER THE MICROSCOPE: Maybelline Vivids Lipsticks

Good day reader! *twirls moustache* (kidding!)

Today's UTM is on the Maybelline Vivid lipsticks! I picked these up when Priceline had 40% off, and have been meaning to put them up for yonks. However, I did want to wear them first but time is dragging on so I thought best to just get them up! (I will update this post if there is anything out of the ordinary when I wear them!).

There are 8 colours in the Maybelline Vivid's range. I have 6 I will swatch for you (missing from the collection are Neon Red and Electric Orange).



The packaging is simple, transparent coloured cap with chrome-esque edging. All Maybelline lipstick packaging is similar - but the colour of the cap changes depending on the range (the Vivid's are an orange-y red).

Swatch time:
(L-R): Pink Pop, Fuchsia Flash, Vivid Rose, Hot Plum, Shocking Coral, Vibrant Mandarin
(Taken under direct light)

(L-R): Pink Pop, Fuchsia Flash, Vivid Rose, Hot Plum, Shocking Coral, Vibrant Mandarin
(Taken under indirect light)
Pink Pop: A blue based pale baby pink.
Fuchsia Flash: A bright blue based mid pink.
Vivid Rose: A mid pink/red hybrid. (It's not quite red but not quite pink!)
Hot Plum: A purple tinged pink. It is purple compared to the other colours, but it still has a good influence of pink.
Shocking Coral: This is probably the more yellow-toned one of the bunch. A pink based coral.
Vibrant Mandarin: A red-based orange. 

What is good about these - particularly the pinks - is that they all lean a bit blue. When I swatched them, they all exuded a blue tone (though Shocking Coral was a bit more yellow). Regardless, pasty, yellow-hatin folk will like these!

For a 'drugstore' lipstick, I was surprised at how intense the pigmentation was! And these really are bright too! They even managed to stain my arm for the brief five minutes that they were on! They were creamy and even. It does take a couple of swipes to build the colour up, but it does build up easily.

The ingredients:



Normally, I wouldn't include ingredients, but this time I feel compelled (haha!). High end lippies (a la MAC etc) have Castor Seed Oil as the first ingredient. These have Lanolin. Lanolin is an animal by-product from wool (helps keep it waterproof). Therefore, if you are vegetarian/vegan, these probably aren't for you! (Ultimately your decision of course!).

My pick would be Vivid Rose - it's such an interesting looking colour (and at first glance is not a shade I really have in the collection!). There are a few within this collection which are rather dupe worthy, and I will endeavour to get them up sooner rather than later.

These are available from various retailers including Priceline, Chemist Warehouse and K-Mart. The going rate is AUD$16.95 and it gets you 4.2gms of product (very good value!).

Have you tried the Maybelline Vivid's? Which ones are your favourites?
Love,
Your PM x

No comments:

Post a Comment